Company continues to advance ESG goals as it scales sales of its proprietary and sustainable ingredients to the food and agriculture industry
ST. LOUIS, MO – June 29, 2023 – Benson Hill, Inc. (NYSE: BHIL, the “Company” or “Benson Hill”), a food tech company unlocking the natural genetic diversity of plants, today announced the release of its second annual Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) Report. The report highlights more comprehensive data, key milestones, and partnerships since last year’s inaugural ESG Report and delivers on the company’s ongoing commitment to transparency.
“Although we have made significant strides toward achieving food security, it is time to go beyond what’s possible and strive for something better – nutrition security,” said Deanie Elsner, Interim CEO and Board Member of Benson Hill. “Our second annual ESG Report demonstrates how Benson Hill is delivering on its unwavering commitment to develop better food options, ultimately aiding in meeting the need for better nutrition. Through our work and guiding ESG principles, we can empower farmers, food companies, and consumers alike to build a better future for our plates and our planet.”
In addition to a materiality assessment, the online report includes highlights from Benson Hill’s key initiatives and accomplishments in 2022 that illustrate its vision to evolve the food system, including:
- Measuring and including data provided by Benson Hill’s newly acquired processing facilities in Creston, Iowa and Seymour, Indiana, offering a comprehensive assessment of how our closed-loop model performs and the practices we’re adopting for even greater efficiency and impact.
- Partnering with ADM to scale innovative ultra-high protein soy for North American food ingredient markets to serve the growing demand for alternative protein. The partnership leverages Benson Hill’s proprietary Ultra-High Protein Soybeans and ADM’s world-class production and commercial capabilities.
- Breaking into the rapidly growing European aquaculture market by partnering with BioMar and Denofa, two global leaders in sustainable aquaculture feed solutions. The three companies will leverage Benson Hill soy and further assess its sustainability impact on high-performance aquafeed formulations.
- Partnering with Schnuck Markets, Inc. grocery retail, which selected Benson Hill’s Veri™ brand cooking oil, sourced from Midwest-grown, proprietary soybeans for more than 100 of its stores across Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, and Wisconsin.
- Becoming one of the first U.S.-based soy ingredient providers to achieve the international ProTerra Certification, a rigorous global standard that sets the bar for sustainable agricultural, deforestation free, biodiversity efforts, and fair labor practices as well as segregated non-GMO programs and more. Benson Hill also joined the ProTerra Network, a group of companies dedicated to sustainable practices and continuous improvement.
- Becoming a signatory to the United Nations Global Compact (UNGC) in support of our customers’ objectives and in contribution to our commitment to the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
For more information on Benson Hill’s ESG progress and how the company is accelerating the pace of innovation in sustainable food production, download the full 2022 report at https://www.bensonhill.com/impact.
About Benson Hill
Benson Hill moves food forward with the CropOS® platform, a cutting-edge food innovation engine that combines data science and machine learning with biology and genetics. Benson Hill empowers innovators to unlock nature’s genetic diversity from plant to plate, with the purpose of creating nutritious, great-tasting food and ingredient options that are both widely accessible and sustainable. More information can be found at bensonhill.com or on Twitter at @bensonhillinc.
Cautionary Note Regarding Forward-Looking Statements
Certain statements in this press release may be considered “forward-looking statements” within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933, as amended, and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended. Forward-looking statements generally relate to future events or the Company’s future financial or operating performance and may be identified by words such as “may,” “should,” “expect,” “intend,” “will,” “estimate,” “anticipate,” “believe,” “predict,” or similar words. These forward-looking statements are based upon assumptions made by the Company as of the date hereof and are subject to risks, uncertainties, and other factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from those expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements. These forward-looking statements include, among other things, statements regarding the execution of the Company’s business plan; Benson Hill’s strategies and plans to deliver better food options; Benson Hill’s positioning, resources, capabilities and expectations to empower farmers, food companies and consumers and evolve the food system; plans and anticipated benefits of newly acquired processing facilities; plans and anticipated benefits of ADM and Benson Hill’s partnership; projections of market opportunity and growth expected to result from the partnership with ADM; anticipated benefits and projections of market opportunity, growth and sustainable impact expected with strategic collaborations with BioMar and Denofa; plans and anticipated benefits of Benson Hill’s partnership with Schnuck Markets, Inc; and other risks and uncertainties set forth in the sections entitled “Risk Factors” and “Cautionary Note Regarding Forward-Looking Statements” in our filings with the SEC, which are available on the SEC’s website at www.sec.gov. Nothing in this press release should be regarded as a representation by any person that the forward-looking statements set forth herein will be achieved or that any of the contemplated results of such forward-looking statements will be achieved, including without limitation, any expectations about our operational and financial performance or achievements. Factors that may cause actual results to differ materially from current expectations include, but are not limited to: risks related to the effect of the announcement of partnerships and strategic collaborations on ADM, BioMar, Denofa or Benson Hill’s business relationships, operating results, stock prices and business generally; the risk of the occurrence of any event, change or other circumstance that could give rise to the termination of the partnerships and strategic collaborations; the risk that the anticipated benefits and results of the partnerships and strategic collaborations will not be realized, including the achievement of market efficiencies and impacts. There may be additional risks about which the Company is presently unaware or that the Company currently believes are immaterial that could also cause actual results to differ from those contained in the forward-looking statements. The reader should not place undue reliance on forward-looking statements, which speak only as of the date they are made. The Company expressly disclaims any duty to update these forward-looking statements, except as otherwise required by law.
Investors: Ruben Mella: (314) 714-6313 / email@example.com
Media: Christi Dixon: (636) 359-0797 / firstname.lastname@example.org